Southern Unconventional Resources Center of Excellence
The vision of SOURCE (Southern Unconventional Resources Center of Excellence) is to be the source of knowledge on Southern Source &Seal Rocks. The mission of SOURCE is:
- To push the boundaries of science, technology, and best practices in the evaluation of source and seal geologic formations.
- To contribute to the development and well-being of society through research on energy production.
- To train the next generation of petroleum engineers with intellectual merit and potential to benefit society.
- To enhance the economic development of the State of Louisiana through scientific research projects.
- To provide a platform for effective and efficient collaboration among academia, industry, and State/Federal government.
- To promote environmental stewardship regarding the development of unconventional resources and carbon storage.
- To empower qualified women, minorities, and low-income students with an advanced education and research skills.
- To disseminate knowledge on source and seal formations.
Some example projects underway at the SOURCE are listed below:
- Comparative Study of Petrophysical and Elastic Properties of Marl and Interbedded Limestone Layers within the Eagle Ford Formation
- Prediction and analysis of geomechanical properties of the upper and middle Bakken Formation utilizing artificial inteligence and data mining
- Developing correlations for velocity models in vertical transverse isotropic media: Bakken Formation case study
- Production Behavior and Decline Curve Analysis of Tuscaloosa Marine Shale Wells in Wilkinson and Amite Counties, Mississippi
- Characterization of Elastic Mechanical Properties of Tuscaloosa Marine Shale from Well Logs using the VTI Method
- The examination of fracture behavior in anisotropic rocks
- Heterogeneity of the Mineralogy and Organic Content of the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Improving the Total Organic Carbon Estimation of the Eagle Ford Shale with Density Logs by Considering the Effect of Pyrite
- Characterization of Anisotropy in the Permeability of Organic-Rich Shales
Dr. Mehdi Mokhtari (Petroleum Engineer)
Director of the Southern Unconventional Resources Center of Excellence (SOURCE)
Home Academic Unit: Petroleum Engineering
Links: UL SOURCE, Unconventionals.org